Towing Capacity Guide
Understanding your vehicle’s towing capacity rating is critical to choosing the right RV for you and your family. Towing your next RV safely down the road will depend on having the right tow vehicle and RV combination. Use our handy towing guide below to help find your vehicle's towing capacity and filter our RV inventory down to RVs you can tow.
Attention: Your vehicle's max towing capacity includes passenger weight, added accessories, any current liquids in tanks, and any cargo you've added such as food, clothes, chairs, grills, games, tools, etc.. For purposes of Find an RV I can Tow, we've allowed 1000 lbs for RVs over 8000 lbs, 750 lbs for RVs under 8000 lbs, and 500 lbs for RVs under 5000 lbs for average Cargo Weight. Always confirm your specific tow vehicles towing capacity directly from your vehicle's manufacturer before purchasing or towing an RV. You are responsible for the decision to operate your vehicle and any RV you may tow. If your specific vehicle is not listed, please contact us for assistance.
Terms & Definitions
- Dry Weight/Shipped Weight - The weight of the RV as shipped from the manufacturer without any passengers, cargo, liquids, or additional accessories or dealer installed options.
- Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) - The current combined weight of the RV (dry weight) plus passengers, cargo, and liquids.
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - The maximum allowed weight of an Vehicle/RV, including passengers, cargo, fluids, etc..
- Cargo Weight - The total weight of all passengers, food, clothing, liquids, accessories, etc.. that you might put into your RV.
- Tongue/Hitch Weight - The weight/pressure applied from the trailer tongue/coupler to the conventional/bumper hitch on your vehicle.
- Pin Weight - This is often referred to as the weight/pressure applied from fifth wheel king pin to the hitch in the bed of your truck.
- Payload Capacity - For Trucks the amount of weight you can safely add to the bed of the truck. Your Fifth Wheels Hitch Weight or Pin Weight plus the actual weight of hitch plus any other accessories you have in the bed of the truck must not exceed the Payload Capacity amount. Confirm Payload Capacity with your vehicle’s manufacturer.
- Max Towing Capacity - The maximum weight limit that can safely be towed by your specific vehicle. This weight is calculated by adding the RV’s GVW with weight of all passengers, cargo, and liquids in your tow vehicle.